Civic Society Logo

Revised 29 August 2012

Objecting to a Planning Application


When a planning application is published there is a period of 21 days in which an objection may be made. The dates will be set out on the planning notice, notification letter or planning authority website.

Making a Valid Objection

In order for an objection to be valid, you need to base your reasons on "Planning Grounds", which are largely concerned with the concept of loss of amenity.

Valid grounds include:

Reasons which are not valid include:

If you are objecting as a couple or part of a group a joint objection will be counted as a single objection whereas individual letters or e-mails will be counted individually. It is better to use your own words if you can.

If you wish to quote the Retained Castle Morpeth Borough Council (CMBC) Planning Policies, these can be found on:

Letters need not be typed but they shoud refer to the Application by name and reference number and be sent or e-mailed to the Case Officer (see below for information regarding Ponteland). Don't forget to give your name and postal address. If using e-mail it is often better to send your objection as an attachment, since it will be printed out for the Councillors on the Planning Committee to see. If more than 5 objections are made the Councillors, not the Planning Officers, make the decision.

Ponteland Information

A "Weekly List" of planning applications is available at Applications for Ponteland will generally be found in the West Area Applications but some, involving matters such as mineral abstraction and Northumberland County Councils own properties may be listed under Strategic and Urban Area Applications. Expiry dates for objections are given in the basic information.

Applications can also be searched at, for applications from April 2011, or, for earlier applications.

Once you have found a Planning Application and noted the Application Number you can go and see all the paperwork in Ponteland Town Councilís Office at 1, Meadowfield Court, Meadowfield Industrial Estate, Ponteland NE20 9SD. You can also view or download paperwork on the web at Follow the links to View Documents; you may be asked to register but it is not essential.

Objections may be made on-line by emailing: or else you can post a letter to:

Northumberland County Council, Planning Department, Hadrian House, Market Street, Hexham, NE46 1XA
(N.B. large Infrastructure Applications may be dealt with by County Hall, Morpeth, NE61 2EF)

If you have any queries you can speak to the Case Officer by ringing: 01670 620083 or use his/her direct line number if you know it.

Return to Homepage   Contact Us   Membership Form   Greenbelt and Core Strategy   Web Links
Future Meeting Programme   Information       Archive